Outfits that stand out not only have a of-the-moment trend incorporation, but a sense of true wearability and fresh styling. To have the perfect ensemble in 2017, let’s think about your clothes in a comprehensive way from hats to heels.
6. A Mix of Classic and Trendy Items: As a now 40+ woman, I’m beyond any outfit that’s 100% composed of bleeding-edge trendy things. Instead, I’ll incorporate a well-planned mix… Say a logo’d tee with classics like a pencil skirt or flares, a denim jacket, and some amazing pumps.
5. A Third Piece: If your top and your pants are items 1 and 2, it’s the 3rd piece that makes your outfit interesting. Furry vest? Fedora hat? Bold color leather jacket? No matter your item, it’s this item that grabs the attention so you don’t have to put as much effort into the rest of your outfit. Bonus points for a 4th piece!
4. Deconstruct Your Button-Up: Instead of buttoning your shirt to your neck as expected, try it hanging off one shoulder or twisted up like origami.
3. Shooties: Not quite a boot and never a boring pump, shooties prove to be the perfect complement to any look… I’m obsessed as this shoe silhouette “grounds” any outfit without being clunky the way boots sometimes can.
2. An Unexpected Element: Just a single surprising detail like embroidery on a blouse or patches on denim can transform an outfit and make it exponentially more unique.
1. Balancing Your Proportions: Whether it’s wearing a corset over a blouse or skinny pants with a more voluminous top, think about your personal body shape and size… dress accordingly. A jacket and jeans paired with heels is ALWAYS in fashion.