BbbRRRRRRRRR! “Baby, it’s COLD outside!”
In the winter, you’re primarily covered up and your coat is the first fashion statement others see. To turn heads this season, because we all realize that fashion’s runways aren’t always directly applicable to your everyday style, you can glean some inspiration and make them your own.
The coat trends today are vast and varied. You’ll want to choose an investment piece so that it lasts, and stays in style, at least 4 years. So, frost yourself with a variety of “coatings!”
Top “Topper” Trends for 2016-17
- Ski jackets: The waxed ski jacket made its way from the slopes to the runway thanks to the purveyor of cool, Balenciaga’s Demna Gvasalia. Whip out your own North Face or Roxy coats and style them with slacks and heels for the office.
- Puffer coats: As an avid Patagonia fan, I am thrilled to announce that puffer jackets are finallycool. But more than just down feathers and high-tech insulation, this season’s styles vary from flashy (like this metallic number from Vivenne Westwood) to feathery. Top an LBD with a puffer jacket for a chic but cozy night out.
- Navy overcoats: Last year, we were obsessed with the camel coat. This year, the neutral-outerwear look is a Navy-inspired, gold-buttoned, dramatic number to get everyone’s “ATTENTION!”
- Graphic furs: Furs get the statement treatment with color-blocked squares, playful intersecting lines, elbow patches, and bold windowpane grids
- Patent leather trench coats: For unseasonably warm winter days (too cold for a jacket, too hot for a wool coat), take a note from Isabel Marant. A patent trench will offer you more warmth than its lightweight counterpart, without causing you to overheat.
- Spring shades: This fall, designers decided to merge seasons and gave winter coats a refreshing new twist in happy colors, like bubble gum pink, orange sherbet, and baby blue. Lighten up your winter (out)look with pops of spring color.
So, “get over that hold out, ’cause Baby It’s COLD Outside!”