Owner of IBB Design & Fine Furnishings, Shay Geyer has been a professional interior designer since 2001, and her passion for interiors and interior products makes creating beautiful spaces for clients a true dream job for this “Glam Gal.” But Shay’s story didn’t start in the early 2000’s. For that, we have to look to Shay’s mother, Beth Rafferty.
Beth started the business 36 years ago working out of Shay’s parents’ home. It was all by referral and word-of-mouth. While Beth originally focusing on commercial interior design for the oil and gas industry, her reputation for style spread and she was recruited by Highland Homes to decorate model home interiors.
At first, Beth traveled around to do all their models’ interiors. Then, she began helping their clients with choosing paint, tile, and cabinets. Her expertise in design quickly led to broader assignments. The homebuyers became ongoing clients, and Rafferty found herself providing interior design guidance on furniture, accessories, and window coverings.
Along the way, as Beth’s business was growing, so was her daughter, Shay. Shay says,
I literally grew up into the business. I can remember making a doll out of Mom’s fabric samples. When I was in college, I was helping my sorority sisters put together their dorm rooms.”
After graduation in May 2000, Shay joined her mother in the business and quickly expanded IBB Design & Fine Furnishings operations to Frisco. Their office park building along the Dallas North Tollway houses 40,000 square feet of showroom space, a design center and a warehouse, and they’re busting at the seams. With 30 designers on staff, they’ve had to remodel it twice to accommodate the still growing business.
Inspired by traveling, the arts, family and friends, Shay considers each day an opportunity to learn and grow from experiences to enrich her life as a designer. Whether starting from scratch or giving new life to existing pieces, Shay’s goal in design is to create an inviting atmosphere that reflects the personal taste of each client.
Her projects are often regarded as “livable luxe” in which she infuses unique elements and statement pieces that still offer comfortable living. Her portfolio ranges from commercial spaces including projects for dentists and major corporations to residential projects around the country including high rises and sprawling estates. Shay’s vibrant personality and personal approach to design often land her high-profile and lifelong clients that trust her not only with their primary homes but also vacation homes across the country.
Shay has been the design expert for WFAA’s “Good Morning Texas“ since 2006. Between 9am and 10am, her design segments can be seen on the show every Friday morning. She is one of IBB Design Fine Furnishing’s buyers for furniture, accessories, and lighting traveling all over the world to markets several times a year. A global Glam Gal!
- Your favorite virtue: Compassion. I think this world would be a much better place if everyone had more compassion.
- Your favorite vice: Chocolate.
- Your favorite occupation: Being a mommy to my two girls is my favorite and most rewarding job. My career as an interior designer is truly a dream job. To be able to work alongside my family every day in a field that I’m so passionate about is a real blessing.
- Your favorite pastime: Cooking with my family, relaxing in our backyard & watching my daughters dance.
- Your chief characteristic: Fairness, flexibility & persuasion. Being fair means I always try to see an issue from all sides. At the fast pace we move in our business, you have to be flexible & adapt. Interior design is part of the service industry and it’s my top priority to give our clients an amazing experience and the best service possible. With regard to persuasion, I have a way with getting my way. 😉
- Your idea of happiness: Spending time with my family. We lead a very busy life. It’s a luxury to have down time with nothing on the schedule. Whether we’re on vacation or just hanging out at home, there’s nowhere I’d rather be than with my husband, two girls, and my mom. Sometimes, the happiest days are when we just stay home in our pajamas all day!
- Your favorite name: That would be a tie between my 2 daughters’ names, Jaylie and Brooklyn.
- If not you, who would you be? Audrey Hepburn. She is the epitome of style. Her volunteerism and humanitarian efforts are something I’ve always admired… A true class act.
- What’s in your handbag? Oh Lord! If we’re talking the handbag I carry to the office, then the better question is what’s not in my handbag… Purell, Chapstick, a hair brush, tape measurer, fine tip Sharpies, my cosmetic bag, my wallet. As mom of 2 girls who dance, you’ll always find bobby pins, hair nets, and safety pins.
- What is your present state of mind? Excited! 2016 is going to be a big year! So many wonderful projects on our calendar and lots of big things happening at IBB.
- Your favorite motto: Be somebody who makes everybody feel like somebody.
- How do you Adorn Differently? I have many “go to” brands like DVF, Tory Burch, and Kate Spade, but I love finding cool pieces when I travel and discovering new local designers I can incorporate into my wardrobe. Abi Ferrin is one of my favorites. Her pieces fit so many shapes and sizes and they’re perfect for the gal on the go. So comfortable & chic!
On Thursday, February 11th, Shay and the IBB team will be hosting “IBB LOVES LOCAL“
A one-of-a-kind shopping event celebrating local designers, vendors, and artists. Since I will be in New York City for New York Fashion Week, please join Shay and the IBB Design team for some sips and bites, and
see my entire Spring/Summer 2016 collection REVEALED & FOR SALE
at this “Don’t Miss” afternoon occasion! No RSVP required, and it’s the perfect opportunity to treat yourself or someone you love right before Valentine’s Day!