These are the months associated with freedom, as we allow ourselves to break from reality. Whether you’re departing to tropical destinations or simply indulging in our sultry city heat, this season offers a stylish escape through a 70’s lens with a coy his of nostalgia and lessons in layering.
So, embrace a sunset of shades in accessories. Feel the warmth of the hottest dress shape. Step out in shoes perfect for any haven. This summer’s style heroes will continue to add bold touches to your look even when you’re back in the real world.
- Your Day Bag… in sunset shades: We’ve all spent warm summer evenings basking in the glory of another magical sunset, and now its hues are one my biggest inspirations. Oranges, pinks, golds, and tans add heat to romantic day dresses and segue simply into the sunset at dusk.
- Long Layering: Even in, and especially because of, our Texas heat, air conditioners indoors are always on full blast. Layering provides the perfect addition of wanted warmth while keeping your cool. But don’t be put off by summer style math. Keep it simple by layering long lengths over each other to instantly elongate and add depth to a simple look.
- Shoes of the season are getting a TAN: While white has long been the go-to shade to enhance summer skin, but when it comes to shoes, tan is your secret weapon. Accentuate bare, glowing limbs with copper-hued flats and block-heeled sandals, all which serve to highlight sun-kissed skin and perfectly pedicured feet. For modern bohemian spirit, wear with complementary, sun-blushed hues from earth ocher to rich mahogany. And, contrast suede textures with velvety corduroy, buttery leather, and luxe accessories to anchor the season’s 70’s scene.
- The Modest Maxi… the piece of the season: On mild summer evenings, sometimes the coolest thing to do is cover up. But, instead of reaching for a jacket, consider the benefits of the modest maxi dress. Long-sleeved and sweeping from high neckline to voluminous hemline, it instantly creates an elongating column, magically stretching the body and helpfully concealing even the highest of heels for even more of a dramatic silhouette. Opt for a streak of single color or a delicate all-over print and ensure that your waist is highlighted for a flattering finish.
- A revival of the Round Sunglasses: Nothing punctuates the perfect summer outfit (note image of “long layering” above) quite like the perfect pair of sunnies. This season, that pair must be round. Luckily, the retro-style, favored by 1960 icons Twiggy and John Lennon, suits every face shape. You just have to select the right size. Those with petite faces should choose a small circumference with delicate frames, while others can play with exaggerated proportions and statement frames. Opt for caramel tinted lenses and, wherever you are, your outlook will be golden.
- A final touch – the Statement Necklace: Now that we’ve peeled off winter’s wardrobe, we can pile on – and show off – statement summer jewelry. Where last season designers conjured grand architectural earrings, the focus has shifted to oversized necklaces that add a confident kick to soft summer dresses. The key to wearing this ample accessory, and not letting it wear you, is to balance it against a deep, plunging neckline, and to choose necklaces that complement, not dominate, the full look.